rawhide report: 20061219 changes

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Dec 20 20:52:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 12:52:36 -0500,
  Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> from the Gold version.
>
> > Considering that I only run Fedora on 3 machines, I spent a lot more time
> > doing respin attempts for FC6 than was worth it from a testing perspective.
> > But I did it primarily as a learning experience. However, if I end up with
> > time to do some FC7 testing when it gets close to release, this will still
> > be useful, as I can test installing with the updated packages after say,
> > FC7test3 has been built.
>
> Logic error.  Whats in FC6 updates != whats in rawhide which will be used for
> FC7 test spins.  Often times things are completely different.  Bugs that
> happen in an FC6+updates install are not worth filing against F7 unless it
> actually happens with the F7 install.

I was discussing two different things here. I have a couple of machines I
haven't really updated to FC6 yet, and had been doing test installs to play
around with respins on test partitions. I figured when I did the real install
I could use the respin with the updates already included. It won't really
save me anything in my case, since I have the update rpms available on one
of the machines already. The second case, was I might be doing some test
FC7 installs before the release in test partitions to help test things.
When I was thinking about doing this for FC5, I thought it would be nice to
try the test install with the latest development rpms, rather than applying
updates after installing with the test iso. I gave up for FC6, but I might
try it again for FC7.

> > On sort of a related note, is the Pungi project going to just support doing
> > respins on the original package set, rather than being able to support
> > respins using updated packages?
>
> Pungi spins with the latest packages it finds in the repos you provide.  Its
> all a matter of what repos you provide.

Does this imply, that it isn't in Pungi's charter to worry about
incompatibilities with anaconda and other packages? It just does the spins,
but the user has to make sure the repositories are compatible with anaconda
and each other?