rawhide report: 20061221 changes

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Dec 21 19:19:22 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 07:33:30PM +0100, David Nielsen wrote:
> tor, 21 12 2006 kl. 09:53 -0700, skrev Michal Jaegermann:
> > On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 02:54:49PM +0100, David Nielsen wrote:
> > >
> > > Transaction Check Error:
> > > file /etc/gconf/schemas/apps_evolution_addressbook-2.10.schemas from
> > > install of evolution-2.9.4-2.fc7 conflicts with file from package
> > > evolution-2.9.3-4.fc7
> > Do you have, by any chance, installed evolution-2.9.3-4.fc7.i386
> > and evolution-2.9.3-4.fc7.x86_64 and you are trying to update only
> > one of these two?
>
> I run a x86_64 system, but due to my hated enemy multilib

????  I am finding that very useful but nobody holds a gun to your
head.  My x86_64 test system is currently cleaned out, on purpose,
of all x86 packages but "production" ones have a multilib mixture
and for very good reasons.

> you get both i386 and x86_64 versions installed,

Well, I am controlling what I install and if something is pushing on
me a package I do not want and is not really required by some
dependencies then I file bug reports.  In any case removing an
occasional "spurious install" is not that onerous.

> Regardless for this one you are right,

Why do you need both x86_64 and i386 packages for 'evolution'?  With
such "leaf" programs just stick to the one which you want to use.
That error messages could be more helpful is another story.

Another option you have would be to install x86 system on an x86_64
machine, which is entirely possible, and not to worry about these
issues at all.  I would prefer that over "hated enemy".

   Michal