Problems getting my wireless card to work

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Feb 13 23:43:17 UTC 2006

Josh L wrote:

> After a lot of reading on the net, I've discovered that, although the
> driver (ipw2100) is present in the kernel, I don't have the firmware for
> this card. So I have downloaded the firmware rpm
> (ipw2100-firmware-1.3-2.noarch

Don't you have the firmware on a CD or somewhere? I'd rather use the
firmware that cam with my wireless.

>>With regards,
>>Stelian Iancu
>><http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=1362>
>><http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=1362>
>>

> check iwconfig to see if your wireless card really is loaded... if you see
> it, (normally eth1 for the intel pro) then try this.
> In my experiences, I have had to
>
> $ifconfig eth1 down
> $iwconfig eth1 essid "HomeWireless"
> $ifconfig eth1 up
> $dhclient eth1

Interesting...
To get wireless up without configuring it (not FC5, but everything I've
tried), this seems the go:
# Enable interface without configuring it. Sometines, I find a
preliminary modprobe beneficial.

sudo ifconfig eth1 up
# set the station, wep key. "any" finds any handy station. You should
use _at least_ wep.
sudo iwconfig eth1 essid any key s:passw
# Use dhcp to get IP etc. dhclient or dhcpcd, whichever you have.
sudo -b dhcpcd eth1

--

Cheers
John