Please strip out the patch that brings up applications behind gnome-terminal

Rudi Chiarito nutello at sweetness.com
Wed Feb 1 01:11:50 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 06:23:07PM -0600, Robert Nichols wrote:
> The problem I have with that is that the popup dialogs are the
> worst offenders.  I'll be typing into a word processor, and a
> long running background process pops up a dialog saying, "An
> unexpected error has occurred.  Delete the database?" just as
> I'm about to type <TAB> <ENTER>.  Bye-bye database!

I think Firefox disables the buttons in dialogs that are not focused,
so you don't end up activating buttons by mistake when you were simply
trying to focus the dialog (especially if the dialog is for the most
part covered). You click once to focus and once again to select the
button.

The extension installation dialog keeps its crucial button ('Install')
disabled until a timeout of a few seconds occurs. This can help a lot
with scenarios like yours. And the countdown doesn't even start if the
dialog is not focused.

Maybe all dialogs whose actions can't be undone should behave like
that. Application windows shouldn't need to have their controls disabled
while unfocused.

--
Rudi