Please strip out the patch that brings up applications behind gnome-terminal

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Feb 1 01:32:38 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> but at the same time... having the pop up dialogs "pop-under" terminal
> windows in a way that you can't see them at all is also a problem.

Indeed. One of the cuter problems I had on OS/2 a few times was two
programs crashing and bringing up two system-modal dialogues.

The bad thing about that was the one with focus was not the one on tim,
and as they were system-modal the user couldn't change focus (and
couldn't drag one out of the way either).

Ultimately I hit on the idea of pressing the space-bar to signal "Ok."

OS X has a good way of handling it: if an application pops up a
dialogue, its icon on the task-bar (equivalent) starts dancing, waving
its hands and generally showing excitement. (Well, I do exagerate a
little, but it's hard to miss but doesn't actually get in the way).

KDE apps have been starting behind for some time, and after a while I
decided it was deliberate and good. As I started trying to respond to
this, I had Mozilla get in the front twice, once when it started and
once when the site tried to set a cookie. It's annoying.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait