Please strip out the patch that brings up applications behind gnome-terminal

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Feb 1 01:40:09 UTC 2006

Miles Lane wrote:

>>This is the upstream behavior of metacity 2.10.  I don't think there
>>is a gconf key to customzie the behavior.  You could use a different
>>window manager which can be customized.  I think kwin, the KDE window
>>manager, allows focus stealing prevention to be customized.
>

> This is exactly the sort of thing that drives me nuts with Gnome.
> The Ximian HIG/usability folks come up with some whacko default
> and then make it impossible for users to work around it.
> Who is it who decided to change this Metacity behavior?
> I cannot believe that this is going to be a usability benefit for most
> users.  Argh!  This may drive me back to KDE again.

I don't do things serially: a little while ago I clicked a link in some
email, the went on to other mail (probably in a different client, I use
Mozilla Mail and Thunderbird about equally).

I really don't want Mozilla taking me away from reading my email, I'll
get to the website in my own time.

One of the most annoying assumptions programmers for Windows seem to
assume is people always do things serially. "Don't do anything else
while you burn a CD." "You can't do anything else while you read the
contents of your Olympus Digital Voice Recorder." Bah.

I currently have stuff open on seven desktops in KDE and often have
more. My window list currently runs to two columns and often to more.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait