Apple Updates?

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Feb 6 02:43:26 UTC 2006

Pete Graner wrote:
> John Summerfied wrote:
>
>> Pete Graner wrote:
>>
>>> 17" that I'm having the following issues with:
>>>
>>> Sound modules won't load
>>> Once modules are loaded sound won't work:
>>> Can only get X to run with FBDev not ati or radeon driver
>>> Currently wireless both the BCM and airo drivers are hosed

Pete's response surprised me considerably, so I've renewed my research;
I have a powerbook and I would like Linux on it, but I've never tried
hard because of the wireless issue.

This also surprised me, but wasn't much help (wireless "just works,"
more surprising as it's Debian).
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~unclem/linux/installing_debian_powerpc.html

It has info that might help with the other problems though.

>> Airport is not going to work any time soon. Not even with ndiswrapper.
>> If you want working (11g) wireless with Linux, best prospect is
>> probably a wireless card labelled "atheros." d-link and netgear have
>> such, but of course the nice OS X software configuration won't work
>> with those. Probably they won't even work at all on OS X without some
>> work.
>>

> The airport extreme (bcm43xx) *does* work has worked in the past.
> Recently its gone to pot with newer kernels and Network Manager since
> wpa was added. I can get it to work by forcing the rate to 11Meg with
> our cisco gear at work at home it works at 54Meg.

Okay.
I looked at this a couple of months ago:
http://linux-bcom4301.sourceforge.net/go/progress and this is what lead
me to my statement above.

There are lots of folk who, like me, think it doesn't work, won't work
soon. You will find some here, and whether it does work for you or not,
you might like to help beat Apple into submission on this.
http://www.hyperborea.org/journal/archives/2004/10/12/airport-extreme-vs-linux/
http://www.hyperborea.org/journal/archives/2004/10/12/airport-extreme-vs-linux/feed/
It's Apple that chooses the chipset, and it's Apple that agrees to any
NDAs that prohibit it from releasing specs and/or source.

This seems to be about the best guide to getting it to work, but it's
not for Every User:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-409194.html

--

Cheers