No floppy or CD/DVD after install

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Mon Feb 6 03:25:13 UTC 2006

I have installed FC5.2 on my computer 3 times now.  Each time the nodes
for /media/floppy and /media/cdrecorder are not being created.  The /media
directory is there but it's empty.

Both devices exist (installed from DVD) as shown in /dev:
ls -l /dev/fd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       13 Feb  5 00:45 /dev/fd -> /proc/self/fd
brw-rw---- 1 tom  floppy 2,   0 Feb  5 00:46 /dev/fd0
brw-rw---- 1 tom  floppy 2,  84 Feb  5 00:46 /dev/fd0u1040
brw-rw---- 1 tom  floppy 2,  88 Feb  5 00:46 /dev/fd0u1120
brw-rw---- 1 tom  floppy 2,  28 Feb  5 00:46 /dev/fd0u1440
brw-rw---- 1 tom  floppy 2, 124 Feb  5 00:46 /dev/fd0u1600

ls -l /dev/cd*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Feb  5 00:45 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Feb  5 00:45 /dev/cdwriter -> hdc

Looking in bugzilla, I found bug 177589 which is similar but doesn't provide
me with any insight into my problem.

I haven't been able to use mknod because I don't have the major/minor numbers
for these devices.  When I tried to download the source code per the
instructions in the release notes, it failed.

Can someone please send me the major/minor numbers for those devices or
provide some other way to access them.

Thanks,
Tom

--