Dell Inspiron 8600 - Hot-swapping the bay.

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Mon Feb 6 15:28:46 UTC 2006

On 07/02/2006, at 2:22 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 01:57:53AM +1100, Steven Haigh wrote:
>>> What I have noticed however, is that when the drive is reattached/
>>> redetected, DMA mode is disabled. If cannot be re-enabled by using
>>> 'hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc' - so the drive only runs in PIO mode. This
>>> means performance really sucks.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know enough about why this happens to try to hack a
>>> workaround for this? It would be awesome to get DMA running again
>>> after a hot-swap-in.
>>
>> After testing this, I've lodged it as BZ #180161.
>
> Not supported. And the framework needed to support it is no longer
> present either. The libata layer is getting the needed code developed
> for hot plug so should hopefully acquire support over time

Ahhh ok - this seems to make a lot of sense. My main wonder was if
the kernel could detect if DMA was available and use it upon re-
enabling the IDE controller (ie in the same code that re-enables the
controller) - but it looks like you've answered that. I guess I'll
see what the future of libata brings ;)

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au