Firefox/Thunderbird memory usage

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Mon Feb 6 23:08:40 UTC 2006

Since starting to run FC5Tx/Rawhide, it seems like Firefox and
Thunderbird consume a lot more memory than they did on FC4.  I'm just
starting to collect numbers so don't have much evidence yet, but was
wondering if others felt the same.

Memory at startup (Virt/Res):

firefox - 113m/31m
thunderbird - 159m/51m

When I last closed them out of frustration (in competition with another
process, so the Res numbers are probably lower than the real working set):

firefox - 370m/154m
thunderbird = 419m/81m

I do have a lot of email and look at large newsgroups (linux-kernel from
gmane), but I don't remember having this experience on FC4.

--
Orion Poplawski
System Administrator                   303-415-9701 x222