ATI driver for X.org 7.0.0?

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Tue Feb 7 08:54:26 UTC 2006

2006-02-03 Ben Matteson <bmatteson at austin.rr.com> wrote
> On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 15:36 +0000, Ola Thoresen wrote:
>> 2006-02-03 Ben Matteson <bmatteson at austin.rr.com> wrote
>
>> You know - right now I could probably hug you - or at least buy you a
>> couple of beers. It is friday anyway.
>>
>> I had previously tried to comment out only "load dri", but apparently I
>> had to remove the whole DRI section as well.
>>
>> It's so good to be back with 1280x1024 again.
>>

> Ola,
>
> Ah, glad to help.  I know how you feel.  When I had this problem, was
> out of my mind trying to fix, and it took me sooooo long to figure out.
> Glad I could save you the trouble.

With the latest ATI-driver this problem - or a related one - seems to be
back. (xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.5.7.3-3)

This time there is no mention of DRI in the xorg.conf, but the symptoms
are the same.  Blank screen, no keyboard input, 100% cpu usage.

The last messages in Xorg.0.log are

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
(EE) RADEON(0): Idle timed out, resetting engine...
(EE) RADEON(0): Idle timed out, resetting engine...
(EE) RADEON(0): Idle timed out, resetting engine...
(EE) RADEON(0): Idle timed out, resetting engine...
(EE) RADEON(0): Idle timed out, resetting engine...
(EE) RADEON(0): Idle timed out, resetting engine...

(btw. Is there any way to get the logs to both add some timestamps to
each line, and maybe keep more than one ".old" to make it easier to try
different settings and comparing the logs afterwards - I always forget
to copy the old log to a safe place before making changes to xorg.conf
and restarting X).

> And I'd be happy to put back a few with you; I could use a few today.

Just let me know the next time you are in Oslo...
=;-)

Ola (T)