[Fwd: Re: rawhide report: 20060207 changes]

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Wed Feb 8 16:21:52 UTC 2006

Justin Conover wrote:

> Option 6
>
> Use gmail and create a filter to dump <domain> to TRASH.

Unnecessary.  uol.com.br can no longer deliver mail to my domain
"mharris.ca", so the problem is solved for me now at least (and
for other folks using the same system).

> Gmail is the best online e-mail system I've ever used.  With 2.6GB of
> storage and growing, all the list I'm on and some are very heavy
> traffic, I don't have to delete anything I don't want to.

With 1.5Tb of disk space and growing, my local hard disk storage
holds all of the lists I'm on now, and all of my email going back
to 1996 on about 20+ mail accounts I've had over that time period,
with approximately 300 mailing lists total, many of which have been
high volume.  I never delete anything practically ever.  It takes
more effort to "think" about deleting something than to just leave
it sit there.  Disk space increases over time, faster than incoming
email fills it, although spammers have attempted to falsify that,
they're losing the war on spam now at least for me. ;o)

> Plus I get to take all my fedora list with me ;)
>
> Might not be able to use that if you have mailing address like
> @redhat.com <http://redhat.com> but you could just use @gmail.com
> taken off of @redhat.com <http://redhat.com>

In addition to essentially infinite disk storage locally, I can
filter mail at the local sendmail level, procmail, or MUA already.
Plus I hate web based email, and even moreso, don't like the idea
of my personal email being searchable by some company, etc.

gmail is a nifty thing, and I know many people who love it, but it's
just not my thing.  Thanks anyway for the suggestion though.  If it's
any consolation, I have an Orkut account which I don't remember the
password to anymore.  ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.