CDs mount to volume name

John Pearson jpearson42 at wowway.com
Wed Feb 8 23:48:01 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 08 February 2006 5:52 pm, John Summerfied wrote:

> > Your point is well taken.  I will have to check, but is controlling the
> > volume name, i.e. 'cdrom', sufficient to guarantee a known mount?
>
> No.
> It does not happen that way, with CDs or DVDs, on FC3 or RHEL 4, and
> RHEL 4 and before will be here for years to come. Heck, RHL 7.3 is still
> around (and supported by Fedora Legacy).

My base personal machine is running FC4; but it was originally built, 3 sets
of hardware ago, with RH 7.3.  The combination dvd player/cdrecorder has
always mounted as /media/cdrecorder.  The base server machine is running FC3,
although the initial deployment was with RH 6.2.  The cdrom drive on that
machine has been a constant /media/cdrom, since the hardware upgrade that
obsoleted 6.2.  So maybe I am missing something.

-jp