Clock still runs fast

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 9 13:53:45 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 08 February 2006 22:50, tsimi at speakeasy.net wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I'm running FC5t2 on a Dual Core Pentium and still have to use
> "noapic" on the boot line to keep the clock from running very very
> fast.  It will gain weeks in a day or two.  I've notice the problem
> up to 2.6.15-1.1884, I've just updated to 2.6.15-1.1915, so I'll
> see what that does.
>
> Todd

    Not a solution, but I don't believe apic is enabled by default in
the 'stock' kernels. I've only been usin FC5-tx (updated daily) for a
few weeks after movin from Mandriva cooker. Out of curiosity, one'a
the first things I explored was the kernel configs (IE, default
settings) and dmesg boot results.

 ~ $ kcfg apic
2.6.15-1.1915_FC5
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC=y
CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC_DEFAULT_OFF=y  <======
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y

   ... all previous kernels back to FC5-t2 install were the same. Also
i686, acpi, preempt_voluntary, an 4gb mem addressing default enabled.
Havin used both acpi an apic together for years for IRQ's, I enabled
apic kernel parameter;

 ~ $ kdmesg apic
2.6.15-1.1915_FC5
ACPI: Local APIC enabled (1).
ACPI: Local APIC address 0xfee00000
ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x00] lapic_id[0x00] enabled)
Processor #0 6:10 APIC version 16
ACPI: LAPIC_NMI (acpi_id[0x00] high edge lint[0x1])
ACPI: Skipping IOAPIC probe due to 'noapic' option.
Kernel command line: ro root=/dev/hdb1 lapic <======
Found and enabled local APIC!   <======
mapped APIC to ffffd000 (fee00000)
PCI: Bypassing VIA 8237 APIC De-Assert Message

(alias kcfg='uname -r && cat /boot/config-`uname -r` |grep -i')
(alias kdmesg='uname -r && cat /var/log/dmesg |grep -i')

--
	Tom Brinkman		      Corpus Christi, Texas