CDs mount to volume name

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Feb 9 16:14:20 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:03:33AM +0100, Karsten Fischer wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 08.02.2006, 17:04 -0700 schrieb Michal Jaegermann:
> >
> > Specific examples, please.  Or you have to be kidding.
>
> Easily. I put in a media called "Tax2005" and its is mounted
> on /media/Tax2005, regardless of which drive
> (DVD-ROM,CD-ROM,DVD/CD-Writer, CD-Writer) I use.

In other words depending on which CD, and in which order you stuck
in one of your multiple drives (volume labels are far from unique)
you are looking for your data in different places in a directory
treee.  Extreme consistency indeed.

On the top of that many people told you about other very undesirable
effects while, if you are using only "desktop" to access your data,
your gain is exactly none.

> And no, I'm certainly not kidding.

Then you did not really think about what you wish for.

   Michal