CDs mount to volume name

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Feb 9 16:46:51 UTC 2006

Once upon a time, Karsten Fischer <kfischer at bfki.net> said:
> Consistency. Having a descriptive label on the desktop, like "Graphics
> November 2005", and find it within your filesystem instead the rather

This is to help people who use the desktop navigation (e.g. Nautilus),
not command-line people (who are considered a lost cause anyway).  So,
modify the desktop software to show the label.  There's nothing that
says the desktop software has to show the mount point.  The desktop
already says "cmadams's Home", "Computer", and "Trash", yet I don't have
directories by those names.  Why should removable media be special?

As others have pointed out, volume labels are not unique.  However,
device names are unique; use them for mount points and let software that
cares about labels sort out how to present them.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>