After yesterdays yum update - problem starting X (SOLVED)

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Wed Feb 15 23:55:00 UTC 2006

After performing a yum -y update yesterday, I rebooted and logged on as normal
user via command line like I normally do.  When I entered startx all I got
was a blank screen.  I then rebooted and logged in as root and again tried to
start X with the same results.

SOLUTION:
Rebooted and logged on as root.  Ran system-config-display and found that the
update had caused a change in the display driver from my ATI Radeon 9200 to a
VESA driver which does not work with my video card and monitor.

Video card:  ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)
Monitor: Envision EN-7600 LCD (1024x768 @ 60Hz)
Kernel: 2.6.15-1.1948_FC5smp
M/B: Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P