Crippling Gnome-power-manager, Why!

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Thu Feb 16 03:30:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 22:16 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
> There were items in properties where you could adjust the actions taken
> for certain situations like closing the display lid. I selected for the
> action for closing the lid to do nothing. I really don't use the
> hibernate or suspend feature myself. I still however would like to be
> able to disable or enable the way power management works on my laptop in
> a fairly intuitive manner. I would not know now as to how to adjust the
> actions if I changed my mind or if something was changed in my
> configuration because of an update.

I still have those features.

> > Suspend has moved to the system menu,
>
> I don't see the selection on the menu. I see lock screen, logout and
> shutdown.

I had to reboot after my updates to see the new menu.  Maybe a logout /
login would have been enough, but I wanted a new kernel.

>   and hibernate is gone I do believe
> > because it is quite broken on a lot of systems currently.
>
> Hibernate is broken on my system also. It does no noticeable damage with
> the short cycling back to a live system again. Suspend on the other hand
> results in an unstable system and an fsck on reboot.

There are those that hibernate (suspend to disk) would cause major
problems.

> I figured that I would see if these missing features could be
> re-instated with the configuration manager and noticed that the same
> state held true for the editor. It was more cryptic but was not very
> customizable.

As I said, I still have this config option, and I'm running the latest
gnome-power-manager from rawhide.