Bling!

Ray Strode rstrode at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 20:13:03 UTC 2006

Hi,

> That got it working for me.  It doesn't cause any major issues or
> anything, but it seemed to die on its own a couple times (just showing
> a normal GNOME desktop without shadows).  Rerunning spififity after
> that brought it back up.
you might try

running sh -c "METACITY_SYNC=1 spififity --replace"
instead of just spififity --replace.  It may solve your stability
issues.

>   On my Radeon 9000 it's kind of slow.  I was wondering if anything
> can be done to make it faster?
>
> My xorg.conf options are:
>
> Option      "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
> Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "1"
> Option "RenderAccel" "yes"
> Option "AccelMethod" "xaa"

The XAANoOffscreenPixmaps is the most important bit for good performance
and you already have that.  RenderAccel defaults to yes I think, so
that's not necessary.  I don't know what AllowGLXWithComposite does or
how it interacts with accelerated indirect rendering.  I don't have it
in my xorg.conf

> I tried exa, but that made it seem even slower.
Yea, right now the X guys (Soeren, Kristian, Adam, and Kevin) are using
XAA, with the longer term plan to make this work well with EXA I think.

> Should I consider ATI's proprietary drivers?  Is there any other flag
> worth trying?
You can't use an alternative GL implementation with this (unless it
supports the texture_from_pixmap extension).  I don't know if the ATI
drivers ship their own GL.

Does your computer do speed stepping?  One (obvious) way to increase
your frame rate might be to max out your cpu clockspeed if you haven't
already.

It's already got pretty acceptable frame rates (~30fps) on my r100 card.
This should get faster over time, too.  Adam is looking into various
ways to make things faster, I believe.

--Ray