Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Fri Feb 17 01:34:12 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> is xscreensaver using dbus controls?
> does xscreenssaver allow switching users from the locked dialog?
> does xscreensaver allow for system level mandatory policy definitions
> with regard to how it can be configured?

And why should those things be in *gnome-screensaver* rather than being
ported to xscreensaver?

> You might not understand, in the short-term, the long-term benefits to

And here we go with what is becoming the standard line from the Gnome
team - "You stupid user, you don't know what is good for you, how dare
you question us!"

I understand just fine about moving forward. I also understand that
moving *forward* involve progression, not regression. I understand that
you don't replace a system that is in production and working with a
completely inferior product.

> DPMS is being handled by gnome-power-manager
> assuming you have all the updates applied
> Desktop->Preferences->More Preferences->Power Management

Actually, it is NOT being handled by gnome-power-manager, as several
other messages on that subject have already discussed.

Moreover, again - why does this need to be a *Gnome* specific thing?

Yes, JWZ is not maintaining xscreensaver, so maybe it is time for
somebody else to take it over - perhaps the folks working on
gnome-screensaver. However, there is no reason why it needs to be Gnome
specific.