todays rawhide - feedback

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Sun Feb 19 20:25:14 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 08:33 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Jim Cornette wrote:

> >> It is an assumption upstream that reflects if your computer is capable
> >> of suspending, you do not need a shutdown choices. A lot of comments
> >> previously in gnome-power-manager thread.
> >
> > Incorrect. It is a Fedora specific change.
> >

> Thanks! I thought that upstream GNOME decided on this approach. Either
> way, limiting the ability to reboot/shutdown is not practical for many
> reasons.

Yeah, for example on a system that doesn't suspend properly, but all
you're offered is the opportunity to suspend.

Once FC5t3 is out I'm going to do some serious looking into why my very
recent Dell Inspiron 9300 doesn't suspend (or hibernate), but even so, I
still need some way of shutting down the system, and getting it to start
again (without having to reboot using the on/off key after suspending)

I guess what I'm saying is maybe we need to leave shutdown and restart
in place until such time as suspend is actually working as expected.

Rodd
 It's much better on my side"