Someting Strange - no gnome-session! - what was the command?

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Tue Feb 21 08:57:38 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 2/20/06, David Timms <dtimms at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>> Funny however, how at least two people managed to achieve the same thing :-)
>
> its not funny.. its disturbing. Its doubly disturbing when people
> can't remember exactly what they did and make accusations that there
> is a problem in the software.
I am definitely not making accusations; I think the list is for
discussion as well as definite bugs etc.

>This could easily be local admin errors
> for both people.
Very likely, but it's better to be sure, with hard evidence.

>But we can't know for sure if you can't be sure as to
> what actions you took to get into this situation.
Any hints why I can't find what I did in the result of the history
command ? Or in any log files on disk ? Perhaps I'm simply looking in
the wrong place ?

> yum remove "evolution*"      will definitely cause a problem because
> its an absolutely unwise thing to do. The evolution-data-server
> package is a piece of commonly used library infrastructure for gnome
> applications and is not a subpackage of the evolution application.
Thanks for explaining the dependencies, if it was evolution* I removed,
then would I expect to see it in the yum log ? If not, why not ? Would
this fact be a bug in itself (failing to log actions) ?

> -jef
I'm not trying to waste people's time on personal fault finding, but
rather get to the bottom of what went wrong for me and taxte, and
secondly why on disk information doesn't seem to have tracked the change
(important when it comes down to security and accountability when
multiple people manage a machine).

Taxte said:
 >>>Can you tell us what command you used; it still might require
following up !

Taxte, if you can possible describe exactly what you did to induce this
situation, it would be of great assistance.

Thanks, DaveT.