BitTorrent ports?

Havard Rast Blok newsmail1 at hblok.net
Tue Feb 21 21:14:13 UTC 2006

<clip various answers about BT>

Thanks guys! This was helpful. I shall certainly check out Azureus, as
mentioned by DaveT. It was also good to get the port range confirmed.
The download speed must have increased quite a lot after a went to bed,
since it was done 7 hours later, rather than the estimated 60.

As for the hardware side of things, I think I'm covered. A small (1 MB
picture over web) gives about 2500-3000 Mbit/s. And LimeWire has been
known to reach 100 kByte/s dl + 20 kByte/s ul.

Vidal's question might interest some of you: "What sort of things are
you seeing in your logs?"

Well, as any online box, I get the odd request to port 139, 445, etc.
every minute or so. However, the second I start up BT, I see maybe
hundreds coming in on the unprivileged range, usually in the area of
20000-50000 tcp on both source and destination.

Also notable, is outgoing requests to port 777 tcp about two dozen times
over the ten hours I was downloading the file (seems to have stopped
once the download was done, but with upload still running). These
outgoing requests were all to the same two IPs, and is unseen in any of
the past logs over the last month.

However, I got the ISOs in the end, burnt them out and now have a fresh
install of FC5/T3, and some more relevant questions...

cheers,

Havard

--
Havard Rast Blok