Unable to mount root after upgrade from FC4->FC5t3

Vladimir Vukicevic vladimirv at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 08:39:32 UTC 2006

After doing an installer-based upgrade from FC4 to FC5t3, at boot I see:

scsi0 : ata_piix
 [...]
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

Any idea what the issue is?  I can't find any info on what's changed
in the boot process (I'm still able to boot my previous 2.6.14 kernels
fine), nor do I seem to be able to get a shell in the initrd via
init=/bin/sh (just seems to ignore the init kernel option).  Note that
at upgrade time, I told the installer to not touch my grub config; it
just added the new kernel as an option.

Thanks,
   - Vlad