"install everything" and @everything dumped

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Feb 25 13:02:14 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 10:27 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 07:46:18PM -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 23:58 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > > Be it as it may, both items need resurrection, and it looks like both
> > > will be back.
> >
> > The everything install will NOT be coming back in the UI.  Globbing will
> > be supported for the %packages section of kickstart which, as a side
> > effect.
>
> missing half a sentence or was there a "which" too much?
>
> > Please do everyone a favor by reading the (extremely long and tedious)
> > horse.
>
> Personally I'm already happy if the kickstart input support will be
> restored, but the thread is 243 messages long drifting around into
> off-topic threads (at least wrt to the install-all option) and the
> couple of messages I picked I hoped to be revealing (I used the author
> to choose) didn't disclose the real benefit of not allowing everything
> installs anymore.
>
> It wouldn't hurt to summarize the reasoning in a sentence. If the
> technical bits are there (which obviously will be if it will be
> supported for kickstart input), then why deprive the user from using
> the gui/tui to do that? How should the typical user perform an
> effective everything install? Should he start learning kickstart?
>
> It's not a dead horse, there is demand for this feature, and the 243
> mail thread on fedora-test-list will be repeated in larger scales on
> fedora-list once FC5 is out, and will drive the last of us out of
> fedora-list.

I for one, would not ever do an "everything" install again.  After
having needed to remove several hundred megabytes (very close to a
gigabyte) of packages one at a time to get rid of the other language
packages it installed for man pages, docs, aspell, OOo, and others it
was just too much that should have not been installed.

If the logic can be refined to install everything, but only in the
language being used to do the install, then it *might* be appealing.