FC5T3: Duplicate packages installed

Dariusz J. Garbowski thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 13:36:58 UTC 2006

On 02/27/2006 01:19 PM, seth vidal wrote:
>> For FC5 I agree with that of course, since we're nearing the end of the
>> FC5 devel cycle.  Once FC6 development begins however, it would be a
>> prime time to make this change to rpm in rawhide so that everyone who
>> relies on the current behaviour will have plenty of time to fix their
>> scripts.
>>
>> Then, if it appears there are still a lot of broken scripts out there as
>> FC6 nears, we can change it back to the current query results for FC6,
>> and then re-change it for FC7 development.
>>
>> The end goal being a migration from what it reports now, to what we
>> would like it to report in the future, with plenty of time for people
>> to fix broken scripts that don't formulate their own --qf queries.
>>
>> This allows forward progress, while minimizing problems, and providing
>> a migration path.
>
> Alternatively, we could discourage the use of rpm as a command itself
> and push people toward using repoquery. repoquery acts on local rpmdb's
> as much as repositories.
>
> and repoquery's default format is:
> name-epoch:ver-rel.arch

Additionally a note in Release Notes in x86_64 specific part about it
could go a long way as to prevent some confusion. One short paragraph
that the x86_64 release contains some packages in two versions 32- and
64-bit and eventually how to query for them.

It will not prevent all reports about duplicate packages but at least
limit their number and also provide some educational/useful information.

Dariusz