Are mouse gestures permanently enabled?

Fulko.Hew at sita.aero Fulko.Hew at sita.aero
Mon Feb 27 14:00:32 UTC 2006

"Mary Ellen Foster" <mefoster at gmail.com> on 02/27/2006 02:56 AM briliantly
responded with:

> On 27/02/06, Fulko Hew <fhew3 at cogeco.ca> wrote:
> > All this sounds like 'mouse gestures' to me, so I went into
> > the KDE Control Center, and disabled 'gestures' in:
>
> Actually, I think it's probably to do with the default configuration
> of your touchpad; annoyingly, it's set up by default to send scroll
> events on certain types of drags. To disable it -- I always do -- you
> need to edit xorg.conf and change the VertScrollDelta and
> HorzScrollDelta settings to 0.

Thank you!!!!!
Thats it.
(And I think I like your solution better than disabling the whole
Synaptic driver)

Now that I know what to focus on, I found a wiki entry from Gentoo
that describes some of these synaptic driver options

  http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Synaptics_Touchpad

I'm going to examine this, and hopefully other docs, to see what
needs to be (or can be) tweaked to get my touchpad back to working
the way it did a few years ago.

For example 'double-tap-drag' no longer works (ie. click'n-drag).

> Some people apparently like this, but I always find it more trouble
> than it's worth.

Personally, I find it VERY aggravating when I go to move around on
a web page, and all of a sudden the browser has now moved back 4 pages
in history.

Many thanks for your advise.  Its save me from hurling my laptop
out of a 15 story window.  :-)