Problems with NIS/YP and seemingly endless do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out

Bevis R W King b.king at surrey.ac.uk
Tue Feb 28 10:44:05 UTC 2006

Joe

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 15:34 +0000, Joe Orton wrote:
> I had a similarly weird NIS problem with a Raw Hide install of a few
> weeks ago.  In my case (see the mail archive) ypbind would never receive
> anything from the server at all, so failed to bind, logging that same
> RPC timeout message.  I take it that much does work reliably for you?

I don't think that's the problem because then the other yp tools would
not work perfectly.  But they do - ypwhich, ypcat, ypmatch all seem to
work just fine and at normal speed.  I've tried it with and without nscd
running.

> ypbind-1.19-0.i386

This is the version I'm running.

> glibc-2.3.90-38.i686
> kernel-2.6.15-1.1915_FC5.i686

I'm looking at the nsswitch.conf again - I'm wondering if the nis lookup
of hosts is broken in some way - that would explain the eventual
success, ie once the NIS has timed out.  I'll try putting the entries
as:

	files dns nis
instead of:
	files nis dns

This is not ideal for us because there are things in our nis hosts
tables which we don't necessarily make externally visible through the
DNS - mostly service based aliases.

Regards, Bevis.