Fedora Core 4 Test Update: kernel-2.6.14-1.1654_FC4

Doug Henderson djhender at telusplanet.net
Sun Jan 1 22:57:03 UTC 2006

fedora-test-list-request at redhat.com wrote:

> Message: 8
> Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 23:44:41 -0500
> From: "Dave Jones" <davej at redhat.com>
> Subject: Fedora Core 4 Test Update: kernel-2.6.14-1.1654_FC4
> To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com

> Fedora Test Update Notification
> FEDORA-2005-1196
> 2005-12-31
>
> Product     : Fedora Core 4
> Name        : kernel
> Version     : 2.6.14
> Release     : 1.1654_FC4
> Summary     : The Linux kernel (the core of the Linux operating system)
> Description :
> The kernel package contains the Linux kernel (vmlinuz), the core of any
> Linux operating system.  The kernel handles the basic functions
> of the operating system:  memory allocation, process allocation, device
> input and output, etc.

> * Wed Dec 28 2005 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> [2.6.14-1.1654_FC4]
> - Fix usb storage oops. (#176576)
> - Fix ACPI owner_id limit.
> - Decrease stack usage in block layer.
>
> * Tue Dec 27 2005 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
> - 2.6.14.5
> - usbhid incorrectly claimed wacom penpartner tablet. (#161241)
> - Reinstate the y2k ACPI blacklist cutoff.
>   It broke working suspend for apm users.
>
> * Fri Dec 16 2005 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
> - Rebase to final 2.6.14.4

The last SMP kernel to boot successfully on my dual PIII box was
2.6.14.1.1637smp_FC4. All non-SMP kernels boot successfully. The SMP
kernels (after 1637) do not recognize the network or video cards.

So I tried this kernel to see if it would boot.

The 1637 shows this message in dmesg:
ACPI: BIOS age (2000) fails cutoff (2001), acpi=force is required to
enable ACPI

The later kernels, including 1654, do not show this message.
They appears to enable ACPI in both SMP and non-SMP versions.

Please provide suggestions for tests, or instructions for information
gathering, or a bug ticket where I can attach logs, etc.