Evolution and IMAP Folders with & signs

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Jan 6 12:00:16 UTC 2006

D Canfield writes:

> I have a folder called "Licenses & Keys" in my IMAP server (cyrus).
> Yesterday the folder was inaccessible through evolution.  After the
> update today, it shows up as "Licenses &-Keys".  I'm assuming this is a
> work-in-progress, so I've not filed a bug yet, but I wanted to mention
> it in case it's just an unnoticed side effect of something else.

The "&" character alone, in folder names, is prohibited in the IMAP
protocol.  A request to create a folder called "Licenses & Keys" must be
translated by your IMAP client as a request to create a folder called
"License &- Keys" on the IMAP server.  Furthermore, the server folder called
"License &- Keys" should be displayed as "License & Keys" by your IMAP
client, making the translation transparent to the user.

If your IMAP created a folder named, verbatim, "License & Keys", on the
server, report this as a bug in your IMAP client.