usb only mounted read-only?

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Thu Jan 12 04:52:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:39:30 +0100, Roger Grosswiler wrote:

> i have no more privileges to write on my usbstick. it seems, i have no
> more rights?
>
> rog
>
> mount says:
> /dev/sda on /media/MPIO-1 type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>
> dmesg says:
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 8
> scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
> usb-storage: device found at 8
> usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
>   Vendor: MPIO      Model: FY200             Rev: 1000
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
> SCSI device sda: 1015809 512-byte hdwr sectors (520 MB)
> sda: Write Protect is off
> sda: Mode Sense: 45 00 00 08
> sda: assuming drive cache: write through
> SCSI device sda: 1015809 512-byte hdwr sectors (520 MB)
> sda: Write Protect is off
> sda: Mode Sense: 45 00 00 08
> sda: assuming drive cache: write through
>  sda:
> sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
> usb-storage: device scan complete
> SELinux: initialized (dev sda, type vfat), uses genfs_contexts
> FAT: Filesystem panic (dev sda)
>     fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 0)
>     File system has been set read-only

You don't mention your version of FC, nor the kernel version running.

You might consider running fsck.vfat on it.  In your other message you
mention you can read this in Windows.  Backup the contents to that
machine.  Then insert the usbstick in linux, umount it, do a fsck.vfat on
that volume.

	-Paul