New schedule for FC5 Test2 ISO roll-out?

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Thu Jan 12 08:26:10 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 18:44, Chris Chabot wrote:
> Wait a moment, now i am a not native english speaker as well, and
> nothing about "release" to me insinuates that its "stable" or "final" or
> anything like that.
>
> Now the word release means to let go of something, or as the dictionary
> puts it "The act or an instance of issuing something for publication,
> use, or distribution." Releasing beta code, means people can use it to
> test (hence the 'release'), it has no baring what so ever on the status
> of the code.
>
> Now if your point is that the implied "stable" when people talk about
> "included in a release" is not clear to people, especially to people who
> are not used to such confusing terms as we software people like to use
> (alpha, beta, gamma, 0.1, stable, final, devel, head, cvs, svn,
> unstable, experimental, build , snapshot and the list goes on and on..)
> then you have a point that maybe for such people it would be good to use
> the full names, "test release" and "final release" or "stable release".
> However by most people its known that a "release" implies a stable
> release, and not a unstable (testing/beta/snapshot/etc) release
>
> Any press release (sorry wasn't intended to confuse the word "release"
> even more :-)) will speak of a "company X released a beta release of
> product Y" or "company X released the latest version of product Y", and
> people will know what your talking about without any difficulties,
> right? :-)
>
> I think the point i was trying to make though i might have been
> sidetracked, is that there is nothing inherently wrong with the word
> "release", its the perfectly appropriate word (and i think perfectly
> clear) for any "release" of any kind. But in such conversations you
> might have a point to ask for a stable release to be called that, though
> what would you call it ... stable or final or official or ... ? :-)
>
> On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 16:58 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > To be blunt.
> > If you want to avoid confusing inexperienced users with regard to what
> > a "test release" actually means.. either stop calling them "test
> > releases" or stop using the word "release" in an unqualified way which
> > implies exclusion of "test releases"

Gentlemen, gentlemen (assumed, not specified).

How about just answering the posters question which I understand is - "will a
certain program be included in the test2 'release'?"

The term "release" is used by the Fedora Project for the test versions ("16
January 2006  test2 release, string build freeze (builds completed").  This
is from the web site at: http://fedora.redhat.com/About/schedule/.

Tom

--
Tom Taylor