smbfs module

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sat Jan 14 23:06:11 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 08:51:28PM +0900, Jason Montleon wrote:
 > That works... is smbfs deprecated, or broke, or....?  Not that I
 > particularly care as long as CIFS work, but my curiosity is peaked.

smbfs is pretty much totally unmaintained upstream, so bugs in it go
unfixed, whilst CIFS has an active maintainer, and is getting constant
improvement.  When we tried to deprecate smbfs for FC2, cifs wasn't
quite as mature and couldn't take to many windows boxes.

I'm hopeful that things have improved since then, so we're retrying
the experiment for FC5.  If they haven't, and cifs fails to work correctly
against some variant of Windows (or other CIFS implementation), then
please file a bug, as I'm sure the CIFS maintainer would like to hear
all about it.

		Dave