How many FireFox 64bit users are there?

Justin Conover justin.conover at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 14:05:32 UTC 2006

I'm curious how many of the 64 bit os users out there, really need a 64bit
web browser?

Is there any reason you couldn't live with a 32 bit one?

Can Fedora put firefox.i386 in the x86_64 tree, just like several other i386
rpms?

I realize adding it is pretty simple, I've done it for a long time.  However
with processors being realitivly cheap new users are buying the amd64 all
the time and want to run a 64 bit os.  We either turn around and tell them,
go to mozilla.org grab the package and install it else were ( can't find
fedora bugs ) or cp your fedora.repo add i386 through it, and overlap a hole
lot of packages, "have fun with that"....

I personally use one from mozilla.org at the moment because I do need things
like flash and plugins like that.  Before you start whining telling me its
closed source, my wife is a photorgrapher and her website has a lot of
flash, I'm sure many of you can understand telling your wife no, can't go to
your website because you used closed source flash would go over like a lead
ballon ;)  And its not just here site, I go to a lot of places that have
flash and so do a lot of people.

Anyway, I propose we either

1.)  add firefox.i386 and all the deps to the x86_64 tree and install it by
default.
2.) step 1 plus just drop the x86_64 version.
3.) tell me to take a hike

I don't care which way you do it, like I said I can get it and have for a
long time, but I'm not new to linux, new to 64bit OS or new to Fedora, and
think that person would have a better time in Fedora if they can use there
browser the first go round and get plugins and whatever else to work.