FC5 T2

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 15 22:09:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 15:26 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 20:18 +0000, Matt Carter wrote:
> > Just installed FC5 T2 and well it gets as far as Udev and then does
> > nothing, wondering if anyone else has it installed yet?
>
> So... where'd you get test2?  Inquiring minds wish to know...

I guess he got it, as usual, from one of the uhm less managed mirrors.
Has happened almost every time now with a new (test) release. Imagine
the discussion going back and forth soon on #fedora :)

Some Dude:         Hey I just got FC5T2 and it rocks! :)
Other Dude:        Wot you got FC5T2 already?! Where did you get it
99999 Other Dudes: Yeah, where did you get it?
Fedora Dude:       Some Dude: if you paste a link here I will make sure
                   you go to Hell and have to use Microsoft till the end
                   of time
Some Dude:         Uhm, ok, I'm not telling. But it rocks!
99999 Other Dudes: Please, please, please, please tell us where you got
Some Dude:         Eastern-European mirrors rock :)
Fedora Dude:       Fedora Dude has kicked Some Dude of #fedora
Fedora Dude:       It's not out officially so everybody stay calm
Many Other Dudes:  Found it :)
Fedora Dude:       Many Other Dudes: if you paste a link here I will
                   make sure you go to Hell and have to kiss Bill's
                   pinkish parts till the end of time
Some Bold Dude:    http://www.tinyurl.ca/edDSrs98
More dudes:        Thank you so much Some Bold Dude
Fedora Dude:       Fedora Dude has kicked Some Bold Dude of #fedora
Fedora Dude:       It's not out officially so everybody stay calm
Many Dudes         Fedora Dude: but if it is already out there, why not
                   release it?
Fedora Dude:       Because FC5T2 is scheduled for official release at
                   10:00 AM <insert some wildly unknown timezone
                   abreviation most of the world doesn't understand>
Too Many Dudes:    10:00 AM <insert weird timezone>?! When the hell is
                   that?!
Fedora Dude:       sigh, www.timeanddate.com
Many Other Dudes:  Fedora Dude: you mean that I have to wait another
                   12 hours because you insist on your own timezone?!
                   10:00 AM is 10:00 AM and it is 10:00 AM here so start
                   serving the goodies :)

Meanwhile bandwidth saturation of the 2x E1 backbone to Eastern-Europe
skyrockets and the less well funded Eastern-European NSA in Fort Meadski
get their work cut out for the next 60 years checking ethereal traces on
thousands of refurbished 4.5Gb SCSI-2 disks trying to figure out what
the hell was going on and why their pr0n downloads suddenly halted.

Fedora Dude:       Everybody stay calm. It will be released shortly
Another Bold Dude: <whisper>.tw lalalalala .tw lalalalala</whisper>
More Dudes:        Thanks Another Bold Dude. Nice fast mirror :)
Fedora Dude:       Fedora Dude has kicked Another Bold Dude of #fedora
Late Dude has joined #fedora
Late Dude:         Hi all, the bittorrent download of FC5T2 at <url>
                   is really fast. Great work!
Many More Dudes:   Thanks Late Dude :)
Fedora Dude:       sigh
Fedora Dude:       Fedora Dude has kicked Late Dude of #fedora

Meanwhile back at FC HQ the inevitable "we're loosing the battle again"
discussion has already started. <snip a lot of talk about standing firm
and not giving in because several roque mirror admins have no clue about
timezones>

Fedora Lead Dude:  Ok, since this release is available from several
                   sites and is already up on Bittorrent I guess we
                   really should open the floodgates
Other Fedora Dude: I will have a firm talk with those pesky mirror
                   admins!
Fedora Lead Dude:  Yes, give them a firm rattling like last time and
                   the one before and... sigh... never mind

And so the floodgates were opened and the community rejoiced.

Regards,
Patrick
ps. FC5T2 was a pleasure to install :)