ReiserFS 3.6

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Tue Jan 17 00:31:48 UTC 2006

Hi

> Does ReiserFS handle SELinux content now? I seem to recall that a
> filesystem other than ext2 / ext3 was capable of accomidating SELinux
> content. Is the progress less than expected by this date?

Yes. It does. Along with XFS too I believe. There was a recent patch to
fix some compatibility issues with MLS and non MLS systems as reported
in LWN earlier.

http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=e517a0cd859ae0c4d9451107113fc2b076456f8f

> Regarding SELinux, it has problems, but the problems are usually dealt
> with quickly when information can be supplied to pinpoint where the
> adjustments that need to be made. I find SELinux still to be rather
> cryptic. It does however ease worries a bit that critical services and
> processes are protected better than possible on a system where SELinux
> is not used.

The reference policy (http://serefpolicy.sourceforge.net/) included in
this release is expected to improve that a lot by helping to add policy
information to the packages themselves and using loadable modules to add
additional fflexibility by allowing better management of site specific
customizations.  Firstboot and system-config-securitylevel allows you to
tweak SELinux booleans to add much of the flexibility required already.
Bug reports in bugzilla related to SELinux in Fedora are usually
responded to in a swift fashion. Discussion in fedora-selinux list  have
also had a good noise/signal ratio. We expect to provide better
documentation in additional to the Fedora SELinux FAQ and RHEL SELinux
guides.

--
Rahul