[Solution] GDM Slows to a crawl after upgrade

Chasecreek Systemhouse chasecreek.systemhouse at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 17:19:51 UTC 2006

GDM Slows to a crawl after upgrade...

The system:
PowerPC 1999 NewWorld iMac 350MHz 320MB RAM ATI Rage128 graphics (6MB
video, I think); (also shows up as a Firewire MoBo but there aren't
any external firewire ports. On a funny note, the internal modem was
hit by lightning in 2000 but FC5Test keeps thinking the modem is there
but not responding; so I get a modem related start-up error...  LOL.)

Some background:
OK, anyways, I upgraded GDM this past weekend and the graphics
subsystem immediately crawled to a halt and died.  Last week, on an
unrelated issue someone had suggested I try "vesa" -- I did that after
I changed the runlevel to 3 and edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf  -- the vesa
suggestion didn't work, but read on ...

I then tried startx from runlevel 3 and got a ton of errors.  After
the system display config TUI installed a new xorg.conf the gdm and
kde graphics systems started working again without any lag.  Except
for a line saying I want 24bit color as default -- the old file and
the new file look identical.

Am I on the right troubleshooting path?  Every now and again the
graphics slows to a crawl for few moments then works as expected.
This system does not have network connectivity and I am thinking this
is somehow networking related.

I plumbed the eth0 to inet 192.168.1.254 and pointed the default route
and the DNS to the same address.  Now all seems to working correctly.

My question:
Has the 'lo 127.0.0.1' interface started being ignored now?
--
WC -Sx- Jones | http://ccsh.us/ | Open Source Consulting