Creating Laptop Profiles

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Wed Jan 18 18:47:30 UTC 2006

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 12:21 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
>

>> A first start I would encourage A LOT is this.
>>
>> Document all the steps (top to bottom) it took you to setup Fedora Core
>> on your laptop in the fedoraproject wiki.
>>
>> I think it's an excellent idea b/c there are not _that_ many different
>> laptops out there, there will be a lot of people using the same model.

Well, my issue is that there is already thinkwiki.org which has most of
this info.  How much do we want to repeat other documentation that is
already out there?  What I currently hate about all these laptop
How-To's is that there end up being  10 of them for each model with one
covering a lot of detail about X and a docking station, but rushes
through other aspects, another that talks about configuring buttons and
wireless, etc.  You end up going to half a dozen documents to get the
info you need.  Thinkwiki is on a good start, but now you've got
something like 3-4 documents per laptop (one per distribution with
possible dupes because of T43 vs T43p).

Also, this still leaves others with having to sort out my notes and when
I go to upgrade FC, I have to do all that work over myself (which will
presumably be more of a chore if/when FC goes back to the 6-month
release cycle).

My feeling was that an RPM containing this info served a number of
purposes.  It saves duplication of effort, it becomes self-documenting,
and if maintained properly it corrects for differences between FC releases.

>> However, I'd recommend being as precise as possible about what model you
>> got. T43 encompasses a lot of laptops.

But for the purposes of tpb (buttons), suspend/resume, and most of the
parts that are difficult to set up, T43 keeps the models similar enough
that I think the info (especially for an RPM as I originally mentioned)
would be close enough.

> Putting it up on the Fedora wiki would be great so other people have a
> place to go.  We can then look at the data and decide if things like
> laptop profiles are the way to go or if we can somehow do it more
> generically.

All this info already exists in the thinkwiki.org project.  Is it really
that much more helpful to copy the info over to Fedora?

Basically what got me wondering about this was that FC4 just doesn't
really work on this laptop.  So, I went through a week of installing
Ubuntu, SUSE, etc.  Basically, every other distribution worked a lot
better than FC.  Ubuntu left very little for me to do out of the box
(just a few acpi scripts).  I'm just trying to figure out how to help
get FC up to that level without breaking the more generic cases.

DC