Gnome panel clock

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Fri Jan 20 08:34:20 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 23:36 -0800, David Boles wrote:

> I was asked why the GNOME panel clock calendar displays weeks that begin with
> Monday.
>
> The other questions are. Can it be changed to begin with Sunday? And, of
> course if possible, how to change it? If not, why not?

It's following ISO 8601, if that's any consolation to you.

The same standard defines such things as which week in a year you mean
if you write "01".  FWIW, it's the week with the year's first Thursday
in it.  Is this standard painfully weird?  You decide!  Might we not
want to follow it very strictly... well, yes, it'd probably be useful to
make try to use what's normal in your country, as opposed to the arcana
of ISO.  But that's really hard, as it turns out, which is why the ISO
standard seems so very awkward in the first place.

--
  Peter