Kernels .1855+ [ SOLVED ]

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Fri Jan 20 14:06:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 07:47 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:

> Oh yea, today I booted up with the .1861 kernel (btw, these seem to be
> the kernels from Dave J's people web site, not rawhide), and still same
> problem.  Except, the problem is really jsut with the mouse I noticed,
> not the system itself.  If I get a menu to come up, I can manuever the
> keyboard arrows and get whatever I want and the menus seem to come up as
> usual, not slow.
>
> So maybe this is something to do with the mouse?
>
> It's a MS Wireless Desktop, where keyboard and mouse are together and
> both are wireless using same base component.  Whereas base component
> plugs into keyboard/mouse plugins on the system.

Welp, here is the setup and fix (I think)....

The wireless base has both the keyboard and mouse cords that go to the
system.  The mouse cord is a USB cable, in which I was using a usb/ps2
adapter (came with the wireless desktop system), since there wasn't a
whole lot of usb ports on older systems.

Well, I tried a regular standard mouse, and that worked.  So upon
relooking at the wireless mouse, I decided to try the USB cord instead
of the adapter and it worked.  I looked up the hardware and it looks
like it even detected it as a MS Wireless Desktop mouse, which is what
it is.

Sooo, wonder why the adapter was throwing it off?

Anyway, seems to be running fine, and will continue testing Dave's newer
kernels now :)

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"It's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious!"