FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri Jan 20 16:31:25 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 15:54 +0000, Tony Molloy wrote:
> We have to install Fedora onto several hundred machines twice a year for
> our student labs. Now what we normally do is "An Everything Install".
> Then we download a script from a server and run it on each machine. This
> script installs any extra rpms we need, like java, configures the
> machines to our requirements and disables any unwanted services etc.
> Fairly simple.
>
> Now without "An Everything Install" we install the default packages. This
> will not install many packages from the base repository, for instance the
> openoffice language packs or the xorg fonts. We need these because some
> of our students will want to use their native language for some purposes.
> Also some lecturer will always require some package that's not in the
> default install but that he has on his machine. And in general they won't
> tell you about this untill after the semester has started ;-(

This problem is easily solved by writing a kickstart script with your
required package set.  Is it really that hard to identify what you need?

If you're complaining about /var/cache space, what do you think will
happen over time with all the updates for all those unnecessary packages
you've installed with everything?