Mplayer Deps.

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 16:58:37 UTC 2006

lør, 21 01 2006 kl. 17:19 +0100, skrev Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski:

> Thankfully not everyone lives in the US so some of us don't have to put
> up with stupid US patent system and law. I think that's exactly why
> such software is being written in Europe, and not in the US.

Don't get me wrong I hate software patents as much as the next guy, and
luckily I live in Denmark where such evil laws don't currently apply
(but I'll eat my chair if they don't try to sneak it back on the
schedule soon though). I care mainly about the legal safety of Fedora as
a project and for those users unfortunate enough to have to obey these
laws. There's a vast difference between me breaking the law and Fedora
breaking the law - I would rather see Fedora not get bogged down with
legal threats, whereas I'm a pennyless unemployed person, they can sue
me all they like for all I care.

MPlayer, I'm sure is a fine project - I haven't used it for quite
sometime since Totem and GStreamer seem much easier to work with, I
still thing GStreamer as a framework is more the right way to handle the
multimedia side of things than what Mplayer is doing.

I am by far the only person who considers MPlayer upstream hostile, that
is e.g. the reason stated by Ubuntu on their wiki for selecting a xine
or gstreamer based default for the coming version of their distro. Or
try asking the wonderful Telsa about them, I seem to recall some
colourful quotes on their bughandling from her.

- David
--
Obligatory shameless blog plug - The GNOME commentary located at
www.lovesunix.net/blog