Mplayer Deps.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 17:47:40 UTC 2006

On 1/21/06, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann at icm.edu.pl> wrote:
> Thankfully not everyone lives in the US so some of us don't have to put
> up with stupid US patent system and law. I think that's exactly why
> such software is being written in Europe, and not in the US.

You don't have to deal with these stupid laws yet.....
Corporate globalization and international trade put a significant
pressure on "standardization" of copyright and patent policies.  I
fear, and everyone should fear, that standardization of national
patent policies around the world, in the long run, will look more like
what the US has right now.  Ignoring the current US patent policies,
like its a benign localized tumor is a mistake. Software patents are a
malignant cancer, and it will spread through the veins and arteries of
global trade, unless something can be done to uproot software patents
that exist now.

I hope everyone in the EU FOSS community  plans to be a part of the
new round of "feedback"  on EU wide patent policy. The software patent
policy fight in the EU is far from over.
http://europa.eu.int/comm/internal_market/indprop/patent/consultation_en.htm
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1911950,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

-jef"the disparity between the EU and US patent policies we currently
have is a transient anomaly.. the policies will converge"spaleta