Install options?

Justin Conover justin.conover at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 16:27:15 UTC 2006

On 1/20/06, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 09:41 -0600, Justin Conover wrote:
> > On 1/20/06, Chasecreek Systemhouse <chasecreek.systemhouse at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >         On 1/20/06, Justin Conover <justin.conover at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >         >  Is there a text file that shows the default packages
> >
> >         In /root -- look at those file AFTER you have installed a base
> >         system.
> >
> > Good idea, I'll do that too, there has to be a file that list them out
> > in a  readable format and I would guess that is the comps.xml file but
> > it a little hard to read atm.
> >
> It wouldn't be that difficult to write a script which parses the comps
> file according to the same rules as anaconda -- it's basically all of
> the default + mandatory packages in default groups and then doing a
> depsolve.
>
> Jeremy

So if I grep for mandatory out of comps.xml + running depsolve that would
pretty much be a minimum install right?  Or, is looking at things like "yum
groupinfo Base" + maybe depsolve since I don't see kernel and grub in the
list and would would assume those are important to boot a new install of
Linux ;)

The reason I'm looking at this is to see if it would be easy to create
smaller iso sets like:

Fedora Gnome iso
Base + GNOME Desktop Environment + default Office/Productivity + Graphical
Internet

Fedora KDE iso
Base + KDE (K Desktop Environment) + default Office/Productivity + Graphical
Internet

Maybe a dev iso with all the tools/lib and such.

Not sure its worth it or not but giving a small d/l amount to some I think
would be handy.  This wouldn't please the "everything" crowd, but its not
intended as a replacement, just an added feature.