FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 00:33:26 UTC 2006

On 1/22/06, goemon at anime.net <goemon at anime.net> wrote:
> so far it seems like almost everyone wants it back and you're the only one
> arguing for its removal. perhaps this should tell you something

Yeah everyone else in this discussion is insane.

I'm arguing for removal. In fact I'm arguing for removal of all
package choice in the interactive Core installer so that an
installation of core only gives you a default set of packages and
everything else happens post install or via kickstart.

You do realize that anaconda is gaining the ability to see other repos
beside Core in future fedora releases right?  The "install everything"
button in the UI surely will not map to what everyone would find
useful when the installer can see both Core and Extras by default.
Moving forward that little extra button is to incur more complexity to
make any sense at all. Will everything mean just Core.. will it mean
just Core+Extras.. will it mean Core+Extras+plus other repos you have
enabled at install time?  Are the developers going to have to build
more UI around that one little button to give you a choice between
those options.  Complexity abounds without accomplishing much in the
way of addressing a  usage case that is not reasonably covered by
post-install mechanisms.

If there were community provided kickstart images that did a Core
everything install wouldn't that be sufficient solution.. instead of
clicking you way through the graphical installer?

-jef"what is popular is not always right, and what is right is not
always popular"spaleta