FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 00:03:13 UTC 2006

--- Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> >I am following this thread closely and I can see
> the
> >pro's and con's.  Many times, the everything
> install
> >is the best way to go.  You do not want to have to
> >install any missing dependencies via yum/rpm when
> you
> >want to compile a certain tarball for which there
> is
> >no rpm available, or there is one, but in your
> system
> >it *does not work*.
> >
> Just you use yum and pirut post installation. They
> should work with
> CD/DVD's too.
>
> > The security risks are something
> >that we could live without.  In fact many people do
> >not update the kernel to the latest one, despite
> >several vulnerabilities that they keep their
> existing
> >kernel because it boots everytime and many things
> just
> >work.
> >

> We need to discourage anything that creates security
> issues.
>
> >>Just that some
> >>users want it is not
> >>a good reason to implement any feature without
> >>understanding the cost
> >>involved in long term maintenance and support.
> >>

> >What does that magic button(s) cost to implement
> when
> >it has been living there for sometime already?
> The
> >changes are welcomed, but what has been the cost
> and
> >long term maintence and support have been
> throughout
> >the Fedora Release cycles?
> >

> It costs quite a lot which is why it is being
> removed. I already gave
> examples of this.
>
> >Why is Fedora trying to reduce the Core?  Why is
> >wanting to become like Ubuntu?  Fedora is great as
> it
> >is!  Why change it to less CD's, and us having to
> >search for packages that are and have been there
> for
> >ages.
> >
> Why do you think reducing core is equal to reduce CD
> images. They are
> not related at all.

I see this occur in other distros too.  They reduce
the number of packages and/or exclude packages that
were helpful but now removed them because of other
people who wanted something else.

I'll put some examples.

*  Take Knoppix for instance.  Knoppix had tetex,
tetex-latex, kdvi, xdvi packages up to version 3.3
after which it dropped becuase of the space issue.
Klaus Knopper said that because of space constraints
he reduced it.  I liked knoppix because it had this
feature.  I could tex/latex a document virtually
everywhere I could boot off live cd.

*  I had to find a replacement.  and there was
Kanotix.  very similar to Knoppix an make by Kano
"Jorg S".  Now as of today the version Kanotix-2005-04
removed tetex completely from the live cd
distribution.

*  I have found Team-TL, a slax live cd, slackware
based live cd/dvd which has what I want and they are
specialized.   It is nice and it works.  I can take
tex/latex anywhere.

Take also Mandriva ( formerly Mandrake), they give out
3 cd's only, they want you to pay into their Club to
get the other stuff.  They include that it is a
download edition.

Fedora Core comes with 4 cd's + 1 rescue cd and we can
also get it as a dvd.iso.  Fedora is a completely free
operating system free of proprietary stuff and patents
and you stand by it completely.

As you stand by it, we and others stand by our we want
"everything install back".  We do not care about
security issues.  we care to install everything in a
faster way that way we do things faster and run great
risks as you and others have suggested.

> It costs quite a lot which is why it is being
> removed.

Why did it not cost a lot before?

What triggered the rapid changes?

As I have said before I welcome some of the changes
implemented in this Fedora Core 5 Test 2 Releease.  I
like them, but still like the everything install.