GRUB not written to MBR - rewrite problem

Claude Jones cjones at patriot.net
Wed Jan 25 14:14:31 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 9:11 pm, Jesse Keating wrote:

> so at the grub prompt you would type:
>
> root (hd1,0)
>
> Then you have to tell grub to install itself to an MBR or boot record.
> This would then be the disk you want the system to load the boot loader
> from, not always the place where your kernel lives.  In your case, you
> want it to use the internal disk for boot loader info, so this is most
> likely hd0.
>
> setup (hd0)
>
> It should find the stage1 and stuff and tell you.  You can now quit.

Thanks, Jesse. This worked, and GRUB got installed to the MBR, and the machine
began a normal boot, but I ended up with a kernel panic. Looks like the
trouble started with device mapper:
	Reading all physical volumes. This may take awhile...
hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { Driveready SeekComplete Error }
hdc: packet command error: error=0x50 { LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
cdrom: open failed
	No volume groups found

and so forth, till

and then a whole bunch of numbers and symbols
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA