Fedora Targets

Caleb B. Warta cyberhawkusa at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 26 17:26:50 UTC 2006

>From: Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com>
>To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases
><fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: Fedora Targets
>Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:50:03 +0530
>
>Caleb B. Warta wrote:
>
>>this is tring to make it fedora for dumbs i think
>
>Just because some users dont want to download multiple CD's and they dont
>have a DVD drive doesnt mean that they are dumb. That is a effort to reduce
>the number of CD's a user would have to download not a question of their
>intelligence.

what i ment by this is that users are going to download single disc that
will by no mean have everything they need

just a linux kde for desktop maybe well with that we will lose new comers to
linux by the lack of software i think

>>but the problems with this are that you would probley want the dev tools
>>on a disk to and anyone just starting with fedora new to linux would
>>download just the desktop cd and not be aware of the fact that 50% of
>>software out there will need the dev tools to compile
>
>Users shouldnt be required to compile software.

so you think that people need to start having binaries for every distro
im all for it man but its not going to happen any time soon there are to
many software groups out there that only have the source releases to make
this no dev tools desktop user world happen

>>this would be even hard to draw lines between server and desktop software
>>sence you give the user no review and edit option becuase of a desktop
>>software that most people use that is lilsted in the server group Samba
>>and other office software that most home users would need
>
>I didnt say it would be very easy.  Some amount of balance would be
>required.

the whole idea would mean that for the server cd the desktop cd and the
office cd they would all need kde and or gnome and alot of doubled software
making downloading the full cd install even more of a pain for dvd
burnerless people