FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 26 18:25:18 UTC 2006

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Nils Philippsen wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 20:03 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >

> > > No it doesnt. I made my argument with detailed rationale on why
> > > I believe it is not useful in general cases. If you disagree
> > > with me, feel free to do so but I would like to hear a detailed
> > > set of use cases that make it a convincing enough argument for
> > > Anaconda to support it for end users apart from Kickstart
> > > capability.

> > What most people complain about here is AFAICS that we completely
> > removed (instead of just hid) an option they valued and that was a
> > well tested (by them), supposedly no-brainer sort of code path,
> > very much unlikely to give any problems down the road.

> You are thinking about this from the development perspective. The
> code base is a no brainer but from the support perspective the
> number of issues that a everything installation has caused is
> innumerous. Specifically in Fedora, try doing a everythings
> installation of FC4 and try running yum update. Watch GFS module
> packages fail.

short response:

what on earth are GFS-related packages doing as part of a *standard*
FC install?  i mean, seriously -- why would regular users *ever* want
to install clustering software?

longer response:

perhaps i misunderstood one of the eventual goals, but wasn't it part
of the plan to *pare down* what would be a standard install of FC, and
move a lot of what's there now onto supplementary disks?  that
approach would solve a lot of problems.

seriously, i've never understood why FC4 sucked up 4 entire CDs.  why
not just make the "Everything" install reflect a much more stripped
install, and leave the rest of it for firstboot or something like
that?

i can imagine at least a couple categories that would make sense to
push off until firstboot:

  1) office software (OOo, as if you couldn't guess)

  2) multimedia (all audio/video stuff)

and so on.

wasn't this part of the eventual plan?  or something vaguely like it?

rday