Fedora floating screensaver stutters

David Atkins thedave at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 27 20:15:08 UTC 2006

I have the same problem on one system but not on the other.

I don't know if it happens in the base or just with recent patches.

My laptop has a straight Fedora install with no external packages,
except Skype. It does not show the gnome-screensaver issue.

My desktop has several other packages on it, most notably:
* madwifi
* the nvidia kernel module, and GL libraries from the patched
  nVidia proprietary drivers.

Even the "Blank Screen" screensaver pegs the CPU (so it may not be a GL
issue).

I can't even get the password prompt to come up.

To undo the screen saver I ctrl-alt-F1 and killall gnome-screensaver.

I plan on reloading this system over the weekend to see if I can
duplicate the problem on a clean build.

D.